Saturday, March 12, 2011

Snippets from my Saturday...............

Saturday at last and a chance to 'play'.

Here's a few snippets and snaps of what's been taking place in the Sweet Birdy Love household.

The tartan swatches Nana go go sent have been snipped into already.
It really had to be more egg cosies.

I mean to say
chooks + tartan = McChooks

or McChickens depends where you live, hehe........

I have some more ideas swirling around in my head.
Little things that make me smile, will share with you over the coming week.

After a break of a few days from the crochet rug I am back into it but perhaps in a manner slightly more reserved...........
My enthusiasm for this project aggravated an old RSI type of injury, ouch.
Now in case you can't see the difference in the above pic and one from a few posts ago........
Here 'tis and it's big enough to throw over my knees.

I have invested in a wrist bracey thing and it feels good having it on.
Hopefully, it will mean I can crochet away to my hearts content without the 'ouch' factor kicking in later on.


This week has been warmer than the last couple. Maybe Summer was trying to redeem itself......
Yesterday, saw a brief shower of rain and the most spectacular rainbow across the valley.
If you click on the pic you can see the Maples changing colour.
It has been a little more humid too, which is not particularly pleasant, but today is lovely and mild.
Showers are threatening, but at least the breeze is keeping the humidity at bay.


Now where is the end of that rainbow?
Oh, right at my Crabapple tree, how exciting is that?
Better go and check for that pot of gold..........

Nope out of luck, all I could find were weeds.


There's also been a spot of cooking taking place.
Tomatoes with Basil to put in the freezer and use in Winter when we have brunch.
Bacon and eggs with a taste of Summer on the side, yummo.

Hubby has been a great help peeling and cutting up peaches.

They are lovely and sweet and quite a size due to the good season.
Hmmm, peach cobbler in Winter, sounds good to me.

My kitchen feels a little like the above.

Wouldn't I love a beaut fire place like that.

I do have a wood stove and as the wood shed is full to almost overflowing with wood, I shall be firing up the stove as soon as it's cool enough.

Not sure if my pies and cakes will look like those above but I'll give it a try.
Wouldn't mind that patchwork rug either........
Check out that huuuuuge dresser full of wonderful produce.

I know, I know .........

It only happens in the world of Brambly Hedge but I would love to live in a house like that.

If you haven't yet figured it out, I am a huge fan of Brambly Hedge.
Jill Barklem is a little like a modern day Beatrix Potter, in my mind.

Beautiful drawings and what an imagination.........

After the peaches there's apples to cook.

Next week there will be more apples ripening plus pears.

It doesn't get any better than eating your own home grown produce.


No 1 son has been checking his didge stand in preparation for Carnivale in Wodonga tonight.
A community celebration of music, food, workshops etc.
It's put on by the Wodonga council and is free.
It's a fun night with a wearable art competition and I have to say the ladies who enter this comp. are seriously creative with their outfits.
Art activities for the kids, a parade and 3 different stages with various musical acts, dancers etc.
Will be a great evening of entertainment, if only this rain would clear up and go somewhere else.
And of course Tig has been doing what he's best at.......

Need I say more?
So, this has been a few snippets out of my Saturday.
I hope your Saturday has been an enjoyable one too

Thankyou for visiting, it's always nice to hear what you have been and are up to.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and till next time take care,

Claire X


11 comments:

  1. Hi Clair,
    So lovely to hear what you've been up to today. I love those McChooks. Tartan chooks, who would have thought! :)
    You live in a very beautiful area going by your photos, those hills/mountains in the background, just gorgeous.
    I hope you had a wonderful time at the Carnivale and the weather behaved. It's nice to have something fun to go to and when it's free, well what a bonus.
    Your Tig looks so happy and relaxed on the sofa, such a fluffy cat and very handsome. Speaking of handsome, No. 1 son is very handsome too. All that fresh country air? :)
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the long weekend,
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous views (love the mail box) - Brambly Hedge is wonderful, isn't it? I often go back to the books for inspiration.
    Now, DO look after your hands and wrists, don't go overdoing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a busy Saturday. Seems really odd that you've done all that and it's only midday here.
    I would love to see photos of the wearable art if you've got any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Claire,

    I adore Brambly Hedge and one of my favorite cup and saucer sets is a BH design. I want to live in that world!

    Of course your photos are once again stunning and you made my mouth water with all the yummy fruits.

    No 1 son must be breaking many a female heart...he is so handsome!!

    And then there is Tigger...I love Tigger.

    Great job on the egg cozies and the crocheting. I wish you would do a little tutorial on machine writing...think about it.

    Ok...off to enjoy my very bright and sunny Saturday

    Be well

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peaches AND crabapples? And a rainbow?
    now that is just the limit.
    Brambly Hedge-ish, definately.
    xx
    j

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tartan McChooks look great! Fantastic use of the tartan! The carnivale sounds wonderful, hope your weather gets better for it! The food all looks fantastic! I love growing my own, but I'm not as good as you at saving it for winter time. The pictures in BH are very inspiring though! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claire
    I'm very impressed with all your preserving - you'll really enjoy your sunshine on a plate in the colder months, I'm sure!
    Love the McChickens - sure to bring a smile to your face whenever you see them
    Emily x
    PS - do you sell your work anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your McChooks Claire and that fabulous rainbow picture. The leaves are just in tiny buds on our trees over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou everyone for your lovely comments.

    Jen I'm not that good at cooking fruit etc. to use during the WInter, it's just that we've had such an amazing season I have to cook it up as hubby just keeps bringing it in to the kitchen...........

    LBM I wish I had some photos of the wearable art but I never even got to see it this year as it clashed with No. 1's gig. If I find a link anywhere I'll send it to you.

    Janet shall think about that tutorial, although once you have your machine settings sorted and your darning foot on that's about it really.

    Emily, I sell my work mainly through my market stalls, but if you are interested in anything please email me

    Carnivale was another success and the rain didn't show it's face.
    Hope your weekend is going well,

    Claire X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice chooks, and a beautiful rainbow. And of course I love the Canadian maple. :) Cool picture of the didge stand too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... didgeridoos, peaches, gorgeous crocheted afghan, rainbows, gorgeous cat.... Can I just come and live at your place?

    ReplyDelete

Life's busy isn't it?......thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
I love hearing from you and will reply via email unless you are set up as a
'no reply blog'
in which case I will reply here on the comments page...♥

Thankyou xx